Main Forum

Patch 2.2.1 and 2.2.2

5 replies
Sparks:
+879
Admins
Owner
As we gear up for the spring break, two new patches are here to smooth out some issues. Some of these bugs have been around for a long time, too...

Some of the fixes include:
  • The teleport out of plot glitch
  • Small issues with plot saving/updating
  • Issues with support sessions
  • The tutorial has now been tweaked to work with the multi-node system. You can resume the tutorial even if you log out, you can repeat instructions, and you can end the tutorial if you want to skip it.

I also just developed a brand new system called LagSlayer! LagSlayer is designed to detect plots that are putting undue strain on the server and control their use of certain lag-causing actions.

It works something like this: Each plot has a "lag score". If you're doing nothing that could cause significant lag, then this score will be 0. When you perform some action that is more resource-intensive, such as spawning an entity or creating an explosion, this score will increase by some number of points. For example, shooting an arrow would raise my plot's lag score by 2 points. After 1 second, the points from that action go away. So 1 second after I shot the arrow, the 2 points go away and I'm back to 0. Now, let's say people are going crazy with exploding miniguns. The rapid explosions and projectiles are adding to the lag score faster than points are going away, causing the score to increase. Once the score crosses a certain "lag threshold", LagSlayer decides that the plot is taking up too much server resources. Any further lag-causing actions are cancelled until the score falls below the lag threshold again. Additionally, if the plot owner is online, they will receive a message notifying them that their plot has crossed the lag threshold.

I've tried to set the lag threshold at a level that will eliminate lag but not interfere with gameplay. I would greatly appreciate feedback as to how this level is working out and if it needs to be raised or possibly lowered.

Enjoy the patch and keep on creating!
- Jeremaster
Posted Mar 23, 15 · OP
Sparks:
+9
Emperor
I think that it is too low
I had a small 8 arrow gun and it went way over
Maybe increase it so that arrows are worth less than bombs,and mob are more than bombs,etc?
Posted Mar 24, 15
Sparks:
+18
Untagged users
LagSlayer spams the chat when your plot goes over the limit. It seems like isn't halting the explosions, but it is stopping item spawn
:undecided:
Posted Mar 24, 15 · Last edited Mar 24, 15
Sparks:
+879
Admins
Owner
It does halt explosions, it's just a bit difficult to notice when they're going rapidly. As a matter of fact, the way LagSlayer works with these rapid things, it's supposed to minimally interfere with gameplay. But this has been tested and I'm quite sure that it does stop explosions when necessary.

It does not spam the chat, it only spams the plot owner. This is partially to discourage lag-causing plots and give plot owners an incentive to regulate them. However, I may add some sort of limiting thing to reduce the number of messages it sends.

Does your 8 arrow gun cause explosions? If it doesn't, then you could fire it up to 5 times per second without issue. The more players you have, though, the more often it is fired. I would highly recommend that you reduce the amount of arrows fired by the gun; you could probably go from 8 to 6 without players even noticing, maybe even to 4. With LagSlayer, we also want to promote awareness about what actions cause problems for the server, and rapidly firing a shotgun is not exactly the best. That being said, there is a bit of room to increase the limit. I'll have to gather some data.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, projectiles and item drops are worth 2, explosions and mob spawns are worth 5.
Posted Mar 24, 15 · OP · Last edited Mar 24, 15
List
Undo
Sparks:
+9
Emperor
The 8 arrow gun does two things.
Reduce ammo and *gasp* shoot arrows,
It has nothing in projhit
Posted Mar 24, 15
Sparks:
+79